historical résumé At the time of the discovery of Brazil, there was no leprosy among the indigenous tribes. This terrible disease was imported through European colonists and African slaves, and was frequently noticed at the beginning of the eighteenth century.
The colonial government, represented by the Vice-Roy Count Da Cunha, assisted the foundation of the “Hospital dos Lazaros,” Rio de Janeiro, which today is under the direction of the Catholic association “Irmandade da Candelaria,” and has rendered great service to the country. Since that time prophylactic measures have been taken against the possible increase in leprosy in the State of Bahia, with very good results.
At the beginning of the nineteenth century the State of Pará followed the example of Bahia and founded the Leper Asylum of Tocunduba, and in 1838 Baron of Cassapava, General Soares de André, Governor of the Province of Pará, sanctioned an act of regulations for the prevention of leprosy.