The First Reported Case from Panamá of Acute Gastroenteritis Caused by Vibrio Parahaemolyticus

View More View Less
  • Gorgas Memorial Laboratory, Apartado 6991, Panamá 5, Panamá

The first confirmed case of Vibrio parahaemolyticus gastroenteitis in Panamá is reported. This marine organism, causing food poisoning in some countries and isolated only recently from seawater in Panamá, was recovered from the stools of a patient with acute gastroenteritis, as well as from fresh shrimp used in preparing seafood dishes. This person and 39 other individuals became acutely ill a few hours after eating shrimp at the same restaurant.

Save