This beautifully printed monograph of fifty-one text pages, 7″ × 11.5″ size, and sixteen full-page plates, is the result of a study by the author of approximately 350 skeletons of Medieval leprosy patients. The earlier studies, based on approximately 150 skeletons has been published in 1953 as a Monograph titled “Ten Lepers” from Naestved, Denmark.
The careful investigations of the author demonstrated the discovery of new pathologic anatomical information about human leprosy through painstaking archeological and osteopathological investigations.
The earlier report had followed the finding in 1944, in the course of the investigation of skeletons from Medieval burying grounds, the skeleton of a young woman demonstrating pathological changes which were unknown to the author. On the possibility that the changes were due to leprosy, an archeological study was made of a burying ground in the Medieval St. Jørgens Hospital for leprosy in the town of Naestved (1).In order to widen the basis of his study pathologically, anatomically, as well as clinically, the author subsequent to his earlier report had visited a number of leprosy hospitals in the Far East.