The Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, Its First Century, 1862–1962

by Robert S. Henry, A.B., LL.B., Litt.D. xxii + 422 pages, illustrated. Office of the Surgeon General, Department of the Army, Washington, D. C. 1964. $4.25

View More View Less
  • Department of Tropical Medicine and Public Health Tulane University School of Medicine, New Orleans, Louisiana

This historical volume on the first century of activities and progress of the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology and its lineal antecedents constitutes a fitting tribute to all persons who have been responsible for its development. Credit is due to the author and to the advisory editorial board for providing so complete a chronology of the Institute, and for promptness in getting the relevant information assembled, edited and published within a year and a half after the centennial celebration in November, 1962.

From the time of its establishment by executive order of the Surgeon General of the Army, 21 May, 1862, the then-designated Army Medical Museum played an increasingly significant role in the development of pathology not only for the use of the military services but for civilian medicine as well. The institution kept its original name until after World War II in 1946, when it was changed to the Army Institute of Pathology.

Save