1921
Volume 87, Issue 1
  • ISSN: 0002-9637
  • E-ISSN: 1476-1645

Abstract

Abstract.

We conducted enhanced surveillance to identify medical risk factors for severe illness (i.e., hospitalization or death) and neuroinvasive disease (i.e., encephalitis or meningitis) among all West Nile virus disease cases reported from selected states from 2008 to 2010. Of the 1,090 case-patients included in the analysis, 708 (65%) case-patients were hospitalized, 641 (59%) case-patients had neuroinvasive disease, and 55 (5%) case-patients died. Chronic renal disease (adjusted odds ratio [aOR] = 4.1; 95% confidence interval [CI] = 1.4–12.1), history of cancer (aOR = 3.7; 95% CI = 1.8–7.5), history of alcohol abuse (aOR = 3.0; 95% CI = 1.3–6.7), diabetes (aOR = 2.2; 95% CI = 1.4–3.4), and hypertension (aOR = 1.5; 95% CI = 1.1–2.1) were independently associated with severe illness on multivariable analysis. Although the same medical conditions were independently associated with encephalitis, only hypertension was associated with meningitis. The only condition independently associated with death was immune suppression. Prevention messages should be targeted to persons with these conditions.

Loading

Article metrics loading...

The graphs shown below represent data from March 2017
/content/journals/10.4269/ajtmh.2012.12-0113
2012-07-02
2019-09-22
Loading full text...

Full text loading...

/deliver/fulltext/14761645/87/1/179.html?itemId=/content/journals/10.4269/ajtmh.2012.12-0113&mimeType=html&fmt=ahah

References

  1. Nash D, Mostashari F, Fine A, Miller J, O'Leary D, Murray K, Huang A, Rosenberg A, Greenberg A, Sherman M, Wong S, Layton M, , 1999. West Nile Outbreak Response Working Group, 2001. The outbreak of West Nile virus infection in the New York City area in 1999. N Engl J Med 344: 18071814.[Crossref] [Google Scholar]
  2. Reimann CA, Hayes EB, DiGuiseppi C, Hoffman R, Lehman JA, Lindsey NP, Campbell GL, Fischer M, , 2008. Epidemiology of neuroinvasive arboviral disease–United States, 1999–2007. Am J Trop Med Hyg 79: 974979. [Google Scholar]
  3. Lindsey NP, Staples JE, Lehman JA, Fischer M, , 2010. Surveillance for West Nile Virus disease–United States, 1999–2008. MMWR Surveill Summ 59: 117. [Google Scholar]
  4. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2010. West Nile virus activity—United States, 2009. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 59: 769772. [Google Scholar]
  5. Patnaik JL, Harmon H, Vogt RL, , 2006. Follow-up of 2003 human West Nile virus infections, Denver, Colorado. Emerg Infect Dis 12: 11291131.[Crossref] [Google Scholar]
  6. Jean CM, Honarmand S, Louie JK, Glaser CA, , 2007. Risk factors for West Nile virus neuroinvasive disease, California, 2005. Emerg Infect Dis 13: 19181920.[Crossref] [Google Scholar]
  7. Murray K, Baraniuk S, Resnick M, Arafat R, Kilborn C, Cain K, Shallenberger R, York TL, Martinez D, Hellums JS, Hellums D, Malkoff M, Elgawley N, McNeely W, Khuwaja SA, Tesh RB, , 2006. Risk factors for encephalitis and death from West Nile virus infection. Epidemiol Infect 134: 13251332.[Crossref] [Google Scholar]
  8. Lindsey NP, Hayes EB, Staples JE, Fischer M, , 2009. West Nile Virus in children, United States, 1999–2007. Pediatrics 123: e1084e1089.[Crossref] [Google Scholar]
  9. Nett RJ, Kuehnert MJ, Ison MG, Orlowski JP, Fischer M, Staples JE, , 2012. Current practices and evaluation of screening solid organ donors for West Nile virus. Transpl Infect Dis, in press. [Google Scholar]
  10. Kumar D, Prasad GV, Zaltzman J, Levy GA, Humar A, , 2004. Community-acquired West Nile virus infection in solid-organ transplant recipients. Transplantation 77: 399402.[Crossref] [Google Scholar]
  11. Freifeld AG, Meza J, Schweitzer B, Shafer L, Kalil AC, Sambol AR, , 2010. Seroprevalence of West Nile virus infection in solid organ transplant recipients. Transpl Infect Dis 12: 120126.[Crossref] [Google Scholar]
  12. Guarner J, Shieh WJ, Hunter S, Paddock CD, Morken T, Campbell GL, Marfin AA, Zaki SR, , 2004. Clinicopathologic study and laboratory diagnosis of 23 cases with West Nile virus encephalomyelitis. Hum Pathol 35: 983990.[Crossref] [Google Scholar]
  13. Han LL, Popovici F, Alexander JP, Jr Laurentia V, Tengelsen LA, Cernescu C, Gary HE, Jr Ion-Nedelcu N, Campbell GL, Tsai TF, , 1999. Risk factors for West Nile virus infection and meningoencephalitis, Romania, 1996. J Infect Dis 179: 230233.[Crossref] [Google Scholar]
  14. Bode AV, Sejvar JJ, Pape WJ, Campbell GL, Marfin AA, , 2006. West Nile virus disease: a descriptive study of 228 patients hospitalized in a 4-county region of Colorado in 2003. Clin Infect Dis 42: 12341240.[Crossref] [Google Scholar]
  15. Chowers MY, Lang R, Nassar F, Ben-David D, Giladi M, Rubinshtein E, Itzhaki A, Mishal J, Siegman-Igra Y, Kitzes R, Pick N, Landau Z, Wolf D, Bin H, Mendelson E, Pitlik SD, Weinberger M, , 2001. Clinical characteristics of the West Nile fever outbreak, Israel, 2000. Emerg Infect Dis 7: 675678.[Crossref] [Google Scholar]
  16. Mazurek JM, Winpisinger K, Mattson BJ, Duffy R, Moolenaar RL, , 2005. The epidemiology and early clinical features of West Nile virus infection. Am J Emerg Med 23: 536543.[Crossref] [Google Scholar]
  17. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2011. Case Definitions for Infectious Conditions Under Public Health Surveillance: Neuroinvasive and Non-Neuroinvasive Domestic Arboviral Diseases, 2004. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/osels/ph_surveillance/nndss/casedef/arboviral_2004.htm. Accessed November 1, 2011. [Google Scholar]
  18. Rockhill B, Newman B, Weinberg C, , 1998. The use and misuse of population attributable fractions. Am J Public Health 88: 1519.[Crossref] [Google Scholar]
  19. Campbell GL, Marfin AA, Lanciotti RS, Gubler DJ, , 2002. West Nile virus. Lancet 2: 519529.[Crossref] [Google Scholar]
  20. Sejvar JJ, Haddad MB, Tierney BC, Campbell GL, Marfin AA, Van Gerpen JA, Fleischauer A, Leis AA, Stokic DS, Petersen LR, , 2003. Neurologic manifestations and outcome of West Nile virus infection. JAMA 290: 511515.[Crossref] [Google Scholar]
http://instance.metastore.ingenta.com/content/journals/10.4269/ajtmh.2012.12-0113
Loading
/content/journals/10.4269/ajtmh.2012.12-0113
Loading

Data & Media loading...

  • Received : 17 Feb 2012
  • Accepted : 05 Apr 2012
  • Published online : 02 Jul 2012

Most Cited This Month

This is a required field
Please enter a valid email address
Approval was a Success
Invalid data
An Error Occurred
Approval was partially successful, following selected items could not be processed due to error