Volume 82, Issue 4
  • ISSN: 0002-9637
  • E-ISSN: 1476-1645



The epidemiology of Chagas disease was studied in five rural communities located in the eastern region of the Panama Province. Serological tests for infection revealed a prevalence of 5.88% (12/204). Hemocultures coupled with polymerase chain reaction (PCR) analysis showed a infection rate of 5.88% (12/204). An overall trypanosome infection index of 11.76% (24/204) was detected in this population. A total of 121 triatomine specimens were collected in domestic and peridomestic habitats. was confirmed as the predominant species. Molecular analysis showed that 17.8% (13/73) of the examined insects were positive for , 17.8% (13/73) for and 35.6% (26/73) presented mixed infections. Among 73 evaluated, 16.4% (12/73) contained opossum blood meals. The epidemiological implications of these findings are discussed.


Article metrics loading...

Loading full text...

Full text loading...



  1. Dias JC, , 2000. Chagas disease control and the natural history of human Chagas disease: a possible interaction? Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 95: (Suppl II): 1422.
  2. Dias JCP, Silveira AC, Schofield CJ, , 2002. The impact of Chagas disease control in Latin America: a review. Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 97: 603612.[Crossref]
  3. Moncayo A, , 2003. Chagas disease: current epidemiological trends after the interruption of vectorial and transfusional transmission in the Southern Cone countries. Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 98: 577591.[Crossref]
  4. Ponce C, , 2007. Current situation of Chagas disease in Central America. Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 102: (Suppl 1): 41–44.
  5. Vasquez AM, Samudio FE, Saldana A, Paz HM, Calzada JE, , 2004. Eco-epidemiological aspects of Trypanosoma cruzi, Trypanosoma rangeli and their vector (Rhodnius pallescens) in Panama. Rev Inst Med Trop Sao Paulo 46: 217222.[Crossref]
  6. Sousa OE, Johnson CM, , 1971. Frequency and distribution of Trypanosoma cruzi and Trypanosoma rangeli in the Republic of Panama. Am J Trop Med Hyg 20: 405410.
  7. Saldaña A, Samudio F, Miranda F, Herrera LM, Saavedra S, Cáceres L, Bayard V, Calzada JE, , 2005. Predominance of Trypanosoma rangeli infection in children from a Chagas disease endemic area in the west-shore of the Panama Canal. Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 100: 729731.[Crossref]
  8. Abad-Franch F, Palomeque FS, Aguilar HM, 5th Miles MA, , 2005. Field ecology of sylvatic Rhodnius populations (Heteroptera, Triatominae): risk factors for palm tree infestation in western Ecuador. Trop Med Int Health 10: 12581266.[Crossref]
  9. Whitlaw JT, Chaniotis BN, , 1978. Palm trees and Chagas' disease in Panama. Am J Trop Med Hyg 27: 873881.
  10. Saldana A, Sousa OE, Orn A, , 1995. Immunoparasitological studies of Trypanosoma cruzi low virulence clones from Panama: humoral immune responses and antigenic cross-reactions with Trypanosoma rangeli in experimentally infected mice. Scand J Immunol 42: 644650.[Crossref]
  11. Vasquez JE, Krusnell J, Orn A, Sousa OE, Harris RA, , 1997. Serological diagnosis of Trypanosoma rangeli infected patients. A comparison of different methods and its implications for the diagnosis of Chagas' disease. Scand J Immunol 45: 322330.[Crossref]
  12. Chiurillo MA, Crisante G, Rojas A, Peralta A, Dias M, Guevara P, Añez N, Ramírez JL, , 2003. Detection of Trypanosoma cruzi and Trypanosoma rangeli infection by duplex PCR assay based on telomeric sequences. Clin Diagn Lab Immunol 10: 775779.
  13. Calzada JE, Pineda V, Montalvo E, Alvarez D, Santamaría AM, Samudio F, Bayard F, Cáceres L, Saldaña A, , 2006. Human trypanosome infection and the presence of intradomicile Rhodnius pallescens in the western border of the Panama Canal, Panama. Am J Trop Med Hyg 74: 762765.
  14. Pineda V, Montalvo E, Alvarez D, Santamaría A, Calzada JE, Saldaña A, , 1998. Feeding sources and trypanosome infection index of Rhodnius pallescens in a Chagas disease endemic area of Amador County, Panama. Rev Med Trop de São Paulo 50: 113116.[Crossref]
  15. Basso B, Cervetta L, Moretti E, Carlier Y, Truyens C, , 2004. Acute Trypanosoma cruzi infection: IL-12, IL-18, TNF, sTNFR and NO in T. rangeli-vaccinated mice. Vaccine 15-16: 18681872.[Crossref]
  16. Palau MT, Mejia AJ, Vergara U, Zuniga CA, , 2003. Action of Trypanosoma rangeli in infections with virulent Trypanosoma cruzi populations. Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 98: 543548.[Crossref]

Data & Media loading...

  • Received : 13 Jul 2009
  • Accepted : 17 Dec 2009

Most Cited This Month

This is a required field
Please enter a valid email address
Approval was a Success
Invalid data
An Error Occurred
Approval was partially successful, following selected items could not be processed due to error