1921
Volume 56, Issue 1
  • ISSN: 0002-9637
  • E-ISSN: 1476-1645
USD

Abstract

Abstract

Near Port Moresby in Papua New Guinea, three of four adult family members who ate a porcupine fish () were severely poisoned. Within one hour of the meal, both the mother and her older daughter had developed paraesthesiae, ataxia, hypersalivation, sweating, and had collapsed and died. The younger daughter developed similar symptoms with progressive paralysis requiring mechanical ventilation for 24 hr, but she made a complete recovery 10 days after the poisoning. In this patient, nerve conduction studies showed reduced sensory and motor conduction velocities and evoked amplitudes with gradual improvement in parallel with the patient's clinical condition, consistent with the known action of tetrodotoxin on voltage-gated sodium channels.

Loading

Article metrics loading...

/content/journals/10.4269/ajtmh.1997.56.30
1997-01-01
2017-09-23
Loading full text...

Full text loading...

http://instance.metastore.ingenta.com/content/journals/10.4269/ajtmh.1997.56.30
Loading

Most Cited This Month

This is a required field
Please enter a valid email address
Approval was a Success
Invalid data
An Error Occurred
Approval was partially successful, following selected items could not be processed due to error