Volume 31, Issue 6
  • ISSN: 0002-9637
  • E-ISSN: 1476-1645


. For the first time in American Samoa an outbreak of eosinophilic radiculomye-loencephalitis was related to eating giant African snails () infected with . Among 24 Korean fisherman sharing the same infective meal, 16 who ate raw or partially cooked snails became ill; five who ate boiled snails and three who ate none remained well. The ensuing illnesses began within 1–6 days, persisted up to 10 weeks, and were characterized by both peripheral blood and spinal fluid eosinophilia, severe pains, weakness and hyporeflexia of the legs, and dysfunction of the bladder and bowels. Eight patients also had transient hypertension and/or lethargy, and three became comatose. One man died 17 days after eating the infected snails, and maturing larvae of were found in his spinal cord. Enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay titers for antigens of were elevated to 1:64 or greater (mean 1:128) in all 10 patients tested. Treatment with thiabendazole had no appreciable effect on the clinical course of the illness.


Article metrics loading...

The graphs shown below represent data from March 2017
Loading full text...

Full text loading...

This is a required field
Please enter a valid email address
Approval was a Success
Invalid data
An Error Occurred
Approval was partially successful, following selected items could not be processed due to error