Volume 16, Issue 5
  • ISSN: 0002-9637
  • E-ISSN: 1476-1645



A Thai housewife had a fatal illness characterized initially by abdominal pain and an intense peripheral eosinophilia and later by signs and symptoms referable to the central nervous system. An eosinophilic pleocytosis was also observed. At autopsy, hemorrhagic necrotic tracts were observed in the brain and spinal cord, and an adult male nematode, , was recovered from the cervical or upper thoracic region of the cord. The patient was known to have been fond of foods that often harbor the infective larvae of this parasite. Although most reported cases of gnathostomiasis in man have involved only relatively superficial tissues of the body, and the present case is the first known fatality caused by this parasite, it is suggested that many severe and even fatal cases are unrecognized because of the difficulty of establishing the diagnosis.


Article metrics loading...

The graphs shown below represent data from March 2017
Loading full text...

Full text loading...

This is a required field
Please enter a valid email address
Approval was a Success
Invalid data
An Error Occurred
Approval was partially successful, following selected items could not be processed due to error