Volume 91, Issue 4
  • ISSN: 0002-9637
  • E-ISSN: 1476-1645



Multiple infections within the same household are common. Household contacts of patients with cholera were observed with daily clinical assessments and collection of rectal swab cultures for nine days after presentation of the index case. During the follow-up period, 71 (24%) of 294 household contacts developed a positive rectal swab, signifying bacterial shedding. The average length of bacterial shedding was 2.0 days (95% confidence interval 1.7–2.4). However, 16 (5%) of 294 contacts shed for ≥ 4 days. In a multivariate analysis, malnutrition was predictive of long-term shedding (odds ratio = 1.4, 95% confidence interval = 1.3–13, = 0.02). High rates of infection and bacterial shedding among household contacts of cholera patients represent an opportunity for intervention to reduce transmission.


Article metrics loading...

The graphs shown below represent data from March 2017
Loading full text...

Full text loading...



  1. Zuckerman JN, Rombo L, Fisch A, , 2007. The true burden and risk of cholera: implications for prevention and control. Lancet Infect Dis 7: 521530.[Crossref] [Google Scholar]
  2. Ryan ET, Dhar U, Khan WA, Salam MA, Faruque AS, Fuchs GJ, Calderwood SB, Bennish ML, , 2000. Mortality, morbidity, and microbiology of endemic cholera among hospitalized patients in Dhaka, Bangladesh. Am J Trop Med Hyg 63: 1220. [Google Scholar]
  3. Weil AA, Khan AI, Chowdhury F, Larocque RC, Faruque AS, Ryan ET, Calderwood SB, Qadri F, Harris JB, , 2009. Clinical outcomes in household contacts of patients with cholera in Bangladesh. Clin Infect Dis 49: 14731479.[Crossref] [Google Scholar]
  4. Mosley WH, Ahmad S, Benenson AS, Ahmed A, , 1968. The relationship of vibriocidal antibody titre to susceptibility to cholera in family contacts of cholera patients. Bull World Health Organ 38: 777785. [Google Scholar]
  5. Larocque RC, Sabeti P, Duggal P, Chowdhury F, Khan AI, Lebrun LM, Harris JB, Ryan ET, Qadri F, Calderwood SB, , 2009. A variant in long palate, lung and nasal epithelium clone 1 is associated with cholera in a Bangladeshi population. Genes Immun 10: 267272.[Crossref] [Google Scholar]
  6. Harris JB, Larocque RC, Chowdhury F, Khan AI, Logvinenko T, Faruque AS, Ryan ET, Qadri F, Calderwood SB, , 2008. Susceptibility to Vibrio cholerae infection in a cohort of household contacts of patients with cholera in Bangladesh. PLoS Negl Trop Dis 2: e221.[Crossref] [Google Scholar]
  7. Faruque AS, Mahalanabis D, Albert MJ, Hoque SS, , 1994. Studies of infection with Vibrio cholerae O139 synonym Bengal in family contacts of index cases. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 88: 439.[Crossref] [Google Scholar]
  8. Yen CH, , 1964. A recent study of cholera with reference to an outbreak in Taiwan in 1962. Bull World Health Organ 30: 811825. [Google Scholar]
  9. Patel SM, Rahman MA, Mohasin M, Riyadh MA, Leung DT, Alam MM, Chowdhury F, Khan AI, Weil AA, Aktar A, Nazim M, Larocque RC, Ryan ET, Calderwood SB, Qadri F, Harris JB, , 2012. Memory B cell responses to Vibrio cholerae O1 lipopolysaccharide are associated with protection against infection from household contacts of patients with cholera in Bangladesh. Clin Vaccine Immunol 19: 842848.[Crossref] [Google Scholar]
  10. Rahman M, Sack DA, Mahmood S, Hossain A, , 1987. Rapid diagnosis of cholera by coagglutination test using 4-h fecal enrichment cultures. J Clin Microbiol 25: 22042206. [Google Scholar]
  11. Qadri F, Azim T, Chowdhury A, Hossain J, Sack RB, Albert MJ, , 1994. Production, characterization, and application of monoclonal antibodies to Vibrio cholerae O139 synonym Bengal. Clin Diagn Lab Immunol 1: 5154. [Google Scholar]
  12. Qadri F, Wenneras C, Albert MJ, Hossain J, Mannoor K, Begum YA, Mohi G, Salam MA, Sack RB, Svennerholm AM, , 1997. Comparison of immune responses in patients infected with Vibrio cholerae O139 and O1. Infect Immun 65: 35713576. [Google Scholar]
  13. Saha D, Karim MM, Khan WA, Ahmed S, Salam MA, Bennish ML, , 2006. Single-dose azithromycin for the treatment of cholera in adults. N Engl J Med 354: 24522462.[Crossref] [Google Scholar]
  14. Faruque AS, Alam K, Malek MA, Khan MG, Ahmed S, Saha D, Khan WA, Nair GB, Salam MA, Luby SP, Sack DA, , 2007. Emergence of multidrug-resistant strain of Vibrio cholerae O1 in Bangladesh and reversal of their susceptibility to tetracycline after two years. J Health Popul Nutr 25: 241243. [Google Scholar]
  15. Rashed SM, Mannan SB, Johura FT, Islam MT, Sadique A, Watanabe H, Sack RB, Huq A, Colwell RR, Cravioto A, Alam M, , 2012. Genetic characteristics of drug-resistant Vibrio cholerae O1 causing endemic cholera in Dhaka, 2006–2011. J Med Microbiol 61: 17361745.[Crossref] [Google Scholar]
  16. Clements ML, Levine MM, Young CR, Black RE, Lim YL, Robins-Browne RM, Craig JP, , 1982. Magnitude, kinetics, and duration of vibriocidal antibody responses in North Americans after ingestion of Vibrio cholerae . J Infect Dis 145: 465473.[Crossref] [Google Scholar]
  17. World Health Organization, 1997. World Health Organization Database on Child Growth and Malnutrition. Geneva: World Health Organization Programme of Nutrition. [Google Scholar]
  18. 1995. Physical status: the use and interpretation of anthropometry. Report of a WHO Expert Committee. World Health Organ Tech Rep Ser 854: 1452. [Google Scholar]
  19. Palmer DL, Koster FT, Alam AK, Islam MR, , 1976. Nutritional status: a determinant of severity of diarrhea in patients with cholera. J Infect Dis 134: 814.[Crossref] [Google Scholar]
  20. Monira S, Alam NH, Suau A, Magne F, Nair GB, Karmakar PC, Rahman M, Pochart P, Desjeux JF, , 2009. Time course of bacterial diversity in stool samples of malnourished children with cholera receiving treatment. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 48: 571578.[Crossref] [Google Scholar]
  21. Harris JB, Podolsky MJ, Bhuiyan TR, Chowdhury F, Khan AI, Larocque RC, Logvinenko T, Kendall J, Faruque AS, Nagler CR, Ryan ET, Qadri F, Calderwood SB, , 2009. Immunologic responses to Vibrio cholerae in patients co-infected with intestinal parasites in Bangladesh. PLoS Negl Trop Dis 3: e403.[Crossref] [Google Scholar]
  22. Utsalo SJ, Eko FO, Umoh F, Asindi AA, , 1999. Faecal excretion of Vibrio cholerae during convalescence of cholera patients in Calabar, Nigeria. Eur J Epidemiol 15: 379381.[Crossref] [Google Scholar]
  23. Larson CP, Saha UR, Islam R, Roy N, , 2006. Childhood diarrhoea management practices in Bangladesh: private sector dominance and continued inequities in care. Int J Epidemiol 35: 14301439.[Crossref] [Google Scholar]
  24. Lindenbaum J, Greenough WB, Islam MR, , 1967. Antibiotic therapy of cholera. Bull World Health Organ 36: 871883. [Google Scholar]
  25. McCormack WM, Chowdhury AM, Jahangir N, Ahmed AB, Mosley WH, , 1968. Tetracycline prophylaxis in families of cholera patients. Bull World Health Organ 38: 787792. [Google Scholar]
  26. Echevarria J, Seas C, Carrillo C, Mostorino R, Ruiz R, Gotuzzo E, , 1995. Efficacy and tolerability of ciprofloxacin prophylaxis in adult household contacts of patients with cholera. Clin Infect Dis 20: 14801484.[Crossref] [Google Scholar]

Data & Media loading...

  • Received : 11 Feb 2014
  • Accepted : 26 Jun 2014
  • Published online : 01 Oct 2014

Most Cited This Month

This is a required field
Please enter a valid email address
Approval was a Success
Invalid data
An Error Occurred
Approval was partially successful, following selected items could not be processed due to error